Sunday, February 17, 2013

What's Happening Lately


Well... let me start off by saying HEAPS has happened since the last time I posted! For starters I am not with the same family anymore. On December 28th I moved about 5 mins up the road and I love it here. I still have 3 boys. But they are 3, 9 and 12 years old. My host parents are very kind and considerate and they have an awesome dog! :) The 2 eldest kids go to school so I mostly just look after the 3 year old or walk the dog or other household things. Since my hostmum is stay at home we share these things. :) Even though i do like it here I REALLY can't wait to go HOME!!!!!!!! I miss everyone so much! I think I have decided that I just really don't like being an au pair/Nanny.
Other than the move nothing has really been happening. I have settled in nicely and the children seem to like me as well. My living situation is very different now. Our house is right one the water in the bay and so I live on the family's boat. At first I wasn't so sure about this living arrangement but now I couldn't be more happy with it. I have my own space. Of course it has a bed but it also has a bathroom, kitchenette and small dining area. It has a small closet, but no worries, I have a closet and my own bathroom up at the house as well.  
Now for my tech mishaps:
I like my things and I try to take care of them. But a few weeks ago I was being very careless and drinking tea on my bed with my computer. I knew I shouldn't be doing this. I even thought in my mind 
"I shouldn't be doing this." But I convinced myself that the possible consequence would never happen to me.... until I decided to shift into a more comfortable position and the worst happened... Not only did I slosh hot tea all over my bed. But my keyboard as well. I immediately tried to wipe it up but the damage had already been done. It was fine at first but a couple of days later something wasn't right. Some of the keys weren't working. I tried restarting it which was stupid since when it asked me to log in I couldn't type my password. Fast forward a week. It was the morning I was going to take my computer to the Apple Store to find out what was up. I had just gotten out of the shower and I picked my shirt up off the counter. Why I put my phone on it I have no idea. But it slid off right onto the tile floor. I didn't have the case on it because I went jogging the day before and I had to take the case off in order for it to fit in the armband. I heard the cracking of my soul before it hit the ground. Before I picked it up i knew the damage had been done... I was just relieved that I was staring at the undamaged front of the phone at that moment. My second relief was when I picked up the phone and no pieces fell off. What else could I do in that moment besides stare at the cracked glass. I ran my thumb across it and sliced some skin. Not enough to bleed though. After I got a hold of myself I took a picture of it posted it on facebook, popped the case back on and went on with my life. I hopped on the hour long bus to the city to the apple store where they told me the shift key was shorting in and out and they couldn't really do much. And when you turn the computer on while holding the shift key down it goes into "safe boot" which disables a lot of things. Which is why I couldn't connect the bluetooth keyboard before. (which is what I'm using now that my hostdad so graciously let me borrow.) So for now all is fine and dandy. I wont waste the money on having my phone repaired since I'll be getting a new one when i get home. And I'm okay using this keyboard until I get home.
Last order of business. I think I have decided to come home at the end of June or the beginning of July. My friend is getting married at the beginning of July and I would like to be there. Also, I really want to be home for my darling niece's 8th birthday. I'm sure it would mean a lot to her too!! I'm torn between wanting these last 5 months going by fast or slow. I am enjoying my time here but I want to go HOME. But I'm not looking forward to getting a real persons job and paying for stuff again. It will come whether I'm ready or not. 
-Lydia (The content Au Pair)

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Oh man, I remember how much it sucked when my phone was run over. I'm glad you got the keyboard thing sorted out!